Welcome to Gaia! ::

You do not Duel because...

you despise Mahayr. 0.041666666666667 4.2% [ 1 ]
you despise someone else in here. 0.125 12.5% [ 3 ]
you are, as accused, CHICKEN! 0.083333333333333 8.3% [ 2 ]
it is beneath you, you are just that good. BUT too chicken to prove it. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
you have too much on your plate for lowly duels, and are CHICKEN! 0.041666666666667 4.2% [ 1 ]
there is not enough to be gained, you are greedy. 0.25 25.0% [ 6 ]
Other... post your own answer. 0.45833333333333 45.8% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 24 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 63 64 65 > >>

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
That was pretty witty in itself hahaha.

Alrightythen, Adimurti.

Happy GaiaVersarry, Clarice! w00t!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
tee hee *hugs M*

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
*Smiles again.*

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
:runs in cackling and waving arms around:

Shy Sex Symbol

˙˙˙sʇlnsǝɹ ǝɥʇ

... are in.

User Image
zzz.
User Image

well, then, let's get started.
many apologies for the delays. sad

duel 1:
User Image____________________________User Image
Mahayr__________________________knight_of_chivalry

:ʎɹɐʇuǝɯɯoɔ lɐɹǝuǝƃ s,ǝƃpnɾ ǝɥʇ

User Image
as it turns out, i had a good deal of difficulty calling this duel.
both duelists presented some interesting, creative approaches to the terms of the duel. i was equally impressed with Mahayr's use of rhyme and meter and knight_of_chivalry's inventive presentation.
however, i ran into the same problem with the both of them:
i had no idea what they were about at first. or the second time i read them.
they were quite pretty, but i hit the same wall with them both!
this, of course, made me feel quite silly.
User Image
because of the nature of these poems, i can't really successfully do a line-by-line critique like i usually do. i'm taking another route:

˙˙˙sʇuıod ƃuoɹʇs ʎlɹɐlnɔıʇɹɐd ǝɥʇ

User Image
Quote:
“And I’m Ron Burgundy.
Go ******** Yourself, San Diego”

Educationally
Anti-“Education” math equation:

[ Teleprompter termination_ )Information + interpretation ] ^sweet sensation
x appreciation
= Freedom.

Breathe it in.

knight_of_chivalry: you have got some balls, man. on its own, the title's amusing. (i haven't seen the movie in question, unfortunately.) and the sheer innovation of a math equation is stunning. you managed some word play in the confines of said equation--sneaky, sneaky rhymes, and an equally sneaky rhythm.
i will say that the glaring drawback was trying to connect the title with the rest of the body. i really don't quite know how the equation works. it sure sounds nice, though.

User Image
Quote:
Unsolved

Celtic cannons bulk and brawn.
Septic synapse deftly drawn.
Futile functions, practiced plight.
Broken bottles needled night.

Caustic crayons' burdened fate.
Saline soldiers' deathly date.
Faithful fashion, passioned pleas.
Borrowed bastards' noble knees.

Cultured creatures bake and brew.
Sodden soilings, deafened dew.
Fatal fighters posted pests.
Boasted bargains… narrow nests.

Mahayr: this thing is tight. i'll say that you took a pretty big risk, working with these restrictions you placed on yourself. does it work? off the bat: what doesn't work is the interrupted lines of thought. your own restrictions aside, the only reason why it flows is purely due to meter. about 90% of your lines are (or can be construed as, due to lack of context) fragments--lacking some sort of verb.
however, what this does mean is that you have got a series of images. images that, once visualized, actually make sense--it's a bit like looking at a slideshow. and this connection breeds a sort of understanding for me that is lacking in knight_of_chivalry's poem.

User Image
in this (extremely, extremely close) duel between knight_of_chivalry and Mahayr:
i declare Mahayr the winner.
User Image
User Image

congratulations!

˙˙˙sʇlnsǝɹ ǝɥʇ

... are in.

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Thank you, Gambol... I know that was a difficult call. I have to say that you are among the very few Judges I would have trusted that piece with, honestly.

*Inclines her head with a smile as she goes...*

Shy Sex Symbol

Mahayr
Thank you, Gambol... I know that was a difficult call. I have to say that you are among the very few Judges I would have trusted that piece with, honestly.

*Inclines her head with a smile as she goes...*

it was quite difficult--particularly because i love wordplay, and both pieces had some great wordplay!
cool

Dedicated Raider

*Tips his hat to the lady with one hand and thwaps Adimurti a good one with the other (but at least not tripping him as he flys by), cackling himSELF.*

Really it is herself... as we all know. Hahahahaha!!!

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
And bytheby, Ed... thank you very much, I had some real fun and fret time with that one! *Inclines her head with a warm smile.* We must do that again... sometime.
kiss

Shy Sex Symbol

˙˙˙sʇlnsǝɹ ǝɥʇ

... are in.

User Image
zzz.
User Image

well, then, let's get started.

duel 2:
User Image____________________________User Image
Wicked Alyce__________________________enFrancais

:ʎɹɐʇuǝɯɯoɔ lɐɹǝuǝƃ s,ǝƃpnɾ ǝɥʇ

User Image
the good things about these two poems:
1. they were submitted in time, despite my tardiness,
and
2. they're on the same subject!

critiquing won't be too line-by-line, but this time around, i'll be making references to the lines i'm impressed/distressed by.

˙˙˙sʇuıod ƃuoɹʇs ʎlɹɐlnɔıʇɹɐd ǝɥʇ

User Image
Quote:
Queens Death Wish List

A swirl of hearts, a drop of poison in the tea pots; down goes the Hatter, down goes the Hare.
A smart whack from the croquet mallet, a slight twist of a head and down goes the King of Hearts.
Tricky knots being hung upside down; fed to the Jabberwocky, farewell Alice.
Tick tock, tick tock, sputter, implosion, nasty suction of destruction of the White Rabbit.
Puff, puff, puff, erotic smoker, pretty poisonous gases; choke, gasp, good-bye Caterpillar.
Tweetle Dum’s & Tweetle Dee’s chubby necks find their ways to the hands of the Red Queen wringed nicely, wringed firmly.

Wicked Alyce: what i can definitely appreciate is the "appropriateness" of these characters' deaths. duly noted is line three: which i liked largely due to a bit of the rhythm in there. i'm able to visualize what you're after here.

however.

my greatest complaint is the fact that this reads largely like a list. i realize that this is the "death wish list"--but, as a reader, i've seen lists before. i make them frequently. in the realm of poetry, novel approaches > the usual sort.
now, i've seen lists used very nicely in poetry: but it's usually accompanied with a great degree of wordplay or minimalist images. what you're presenting is something that i pretty much have to force myself to visualize: "pretty poisonous gases", "nasty suction of destruction", "tricky knots being hung upside down", etc.
to add, alice's death comes... third. not first, not last--in some place of weight or importance. i always had the impression that she was the "most important" character of wonderland.

anyway, i'd highly suggest loading this with imagery, should you go back to make changes. make them clear, make them concise, make them interesting!

User Image
Quote:
alice an' opium(land)
i (lewis) in search of inspiration

gibberish names
pasted on its round
tiles, my typewriter
stands as headstone (still)
for crumpled paper.
my fingers weave, then
net behind my head.
layback.sigh.

**********curious thought:
**********what brings creativity?
**************************sleep, or stargazing?
**************************sex, a stroll, or sunbathing?
**************************fun, or failure?
**************************fellation, or flowers?

**************************i closed the queery
**************************with the following answer:
**************************poppies.
**************************their petals only hold aesthetics, but
*****************************the initial pods yield ecstacy (, andillusion
).

opium grinded against
my nervous teeth, and
creeped down my
wanting tongue,
*************(—curious thought:
*************what is it like beyond
*************the rabbit-hole?—)
and
it
passed
the tailing void.

answer:
i fell dormant, and time's
rind flaked and decayed,
proportion became bedraggled,
an' ration was forgotten;
******************a vested rabbit hopped
******************with a tick in his pocket;
******************'eat me' marked my
******************misfortune; tea party,
******************with a hatter; hookah
******************hooked cate'pillar; defeat
******************the queen, and return to sanity.
******************?

my typewriter
[click, clack, reset]
formed the former, but confined it
[click, clack, reset]
to the enclosing loops, and bounding
[click, clack, reset]
lines of (the words in) children's fiction.
[loosen spool.]
the confessions of an english opium-eater
[read.]
restricted by where the sidewalk ends.

****************************the
***************************things
*****************************i
****************************did
***************************before
****************************my
****************************eye
***************************rimmed
2. alice from opiumland********the

before alice saw through the looking glass.

enFrancais: were you high when you wrote this? i kid, i kid.
gosh. let me start out by saying that you have some fantastic images here:
"gibberish names
pasted on its round
tiles, my typewriter
stands as headstone (still)
for crumpled paper." -- hell. yes.
and
"opium grinded against
my nervous teeth, and
creeped down my
wanting tongue," -- clear, crisp, and striking.

i think where you might fall short is trying to muse too much on abstractions. musing is fine--but only in small doses. i definitely was amused by the image you close your "creativity" question on: poppies. maybe if you focus your thoughts a bit more on that, you can make for some more powerful, moving images.

the flowers and the typewriter: huge plus!
tread a little less near that clichéd approach--that is, the character roll-call--to wonderland, should you choose to revise. wonderland is a place of drugged up introspective possibility--which you can certainly play with. make wonderland your own. biggrin

˙˙˙uoısnlɔuoɔ uı

... the call.
User Image
in this duel between Wicked Alyce and enFrancais:
i declare enFrancais the winner.
User Image
User Image

congratulations!

˙˙˙sʇlnsǝɹ ǝɥʇ

... are in.

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Wonderfully done, again, Gambol... congratulations Frenchie, and good job Alyce.
Mahayr
Wonderfully done, again, Gambol... congratulations Frenchie, and good job Alyce.
Thank you.

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
User Image
The Judgement!

*Challenger name: The Love Mutt (Clarice) [O]
*Defender name: cafebrulot [O]
*Bet: 3K
*Judge: Adimurti
*Duel Type: Double Barrel.
*Subject I prefer: The Ocean.
*Form: Anything loosely structured
*Bets Paid: The Love Mutt; cafebrulot.
*Round One: [O]

Round Two

The Love Mutt
sticks beat gentle waves
onto water's whispering
surface. splash becomes

tide becomes a soft,
rippling rhythm, growing
into symphony.

I like the edits, here. The structure's consistent, as is the feel, but you've elaborated enough to generate a stronger image. Two thing's I'd (directly) suggest, are changing 'into' in the final line to 'to a', to help the flow; and maybe try to think around 'whispering' in relation to waves/water - it's a pretty obvious metaphor compared to what you can come up with. With "water's" (from my last critique) maybe using personification on this, and capitalising it as if a name would help? It would fix the grammar as well as give the water 'more'... je ne sais quoi? Just 'more' in itself. The build up of actions works well, building up in expectation and then climaxing to (if handling an over-active imagination) the climax in a water-scape classical piece, which was an image I took and really enjoyed from it.

cafebrulot
it was as though we walked upon
a never-ending, tilting plain.
horizon, sky, and sand were gone.

everything was going numb,
but I had feeling in my hands;
a someone gently by my side.

we walked away, hands intertwined,
toward never ending, empty sea:
cold, alone, just him and me.

the water sprayed and realigned
our locks of hair in salty dreads --
our footing; slowly undermined

by constant breaking pallid heads
that had eroded where we stood,
replaced the sand with sea instead.

with every bit of strength I could,
I pulled him up to match my stride
as any caring parent would.

but soon enough the rising tide
and cold enveloped everything.
my lover had been ea't alive.

I don't think mentioned last time, but I really enjoy the 'salty dreads' line. The 'ea't' in the last line is bothering me, quite a bit actually. Shouldn't it be 'eat'n' if you're going for an abbreviated term when reading? The edit on the third line is an improvement, but I think you could lose one of the attributes to add a splash of colour (metaphorically - not going back to grey). The stanza you added didn't really strike me with much - I can see why it's there, but I think that it's not as imaginative or interesting as it could be. The repetition of 'never-ending' really stood out to me for some reason (maybe because it's something that stands out with the first use?) which left me seeing it as more generic than I originally saw it as. The 'cold, alone' didn't give me much with this either, not to mention that 'cold' is mentioned later in the piece. I think the main problem with the stanza is the stanza before it is very sombre, and even though it isn't as strong as I would imagine you could get it, it's a great tone setter; the two stanzas following it are a lot stronger and are in the same set of giving aesthetics to the reader, but they strongly overshadow the new addition. The ending is interesting - it kind of ends in a different place where you'd expect it, but doesn't hit the reader in the face or leave a huge question mark over what you were getting at.

I declare the winner of this duel to be The Love Mutt, for her edits made and the over-all feel of the poem. This was a pretty difficult one to judge in it's own way - cafebrulot's original piece held more to me from the first round by, in my opinion, creating more to play with for the reader - that said, The Love Mutt's edits were more effective and her willingness to play with the actual form in order to expand on parts that needed expanding on stood out to me.

Well done to both entrants, though. Both were fun reads. whee

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Thanks Adi for the crit, and thanks cafe, for the challenge. I was stuck on it for awhile, but I am SO happy with how it eventually turned out. And the original crit was for the best; it really made me look over my poem and reanalyze it (srsly. I was obsessed for a while).

<3

Maybe we should do it again sometime. Just not right now, with two Hell Weeks coming up ><.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff